Saturday, August 8, 2015

Legacy.

In high school, I competed in speech. I was really a nerdy girl. I'm not talking about coding and computers. I'm talking, home on a Friday night, reading Shakespeare's Works cover-to-cover kind of young lady. I don't think there's anything wrong with perusing the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations. I own volumes I and II. Also, Conrad Aiken sends a shiver up my spine. I competed in a poetry event, and used a piece entitled Tetelestai. It was weird for the time. It raised questions, and got people thinking. I enjoyed speech competition, because it made us into whom we would become. We got dressed up at 4 a.m. on Saturdays, to get on a bus and have intelligent conversations with our friends across the state. That's pretty good for a bunch of 16-year-olds without smart phones. In college, I struggled to find a poem as good as Tetelestai, so I used it again. I went to Nationals with it, and got a spring break trip out of the deal. That was the first plane ride of my life. How will you be remembered?

No comments:

Post a Comment